1. 17 Mar, 2009 3 commits
    • Simon Marlow's avatar
      Add fast event logging · 8b18faef
      Simon Marlow authored
      Generate binary log files from the RTS containing a log of runtime
      events with timestamps.  The log file can be visualised in various
      ways, for investigating runtime behaviour and debugging performance
      problems.  See for example the forthcoming ThreadScope viewer.
      
      New GHC option:
      
        -eventlog   (link-time option) Enables event logging.
      
        +RTS -l     (runtime option) Generates <prog>.eventlog with
                    the binary event information.
      
      This replaces some of the tracing machinery we already had in the RTS:
      e.g. +RTS -vg  for GC tracing (we should do this using the new event
      logging instead).
      
      Event logging has almost no runtime cost when it isn't enabled, though
      in the future we might add more fine-grained events and this might
      change; hence having a link-time option and compiling a separate
      version of the RTS for event logging.  There's a small runtime cost
      for enabling event-logging, for most programs it shouldn't make much
      difference.
      
      (Todo: docs)
      8b18faef
    • Simon Marlow's avatar
      FIX biographical profiling (#3039, probably #2297) · f8f4cb3f
      Simon Marlow authored
      Since we introduced pointer tagging, we no longer always enter a
      closure to evaluate it.  However, the biographical profiler relies on
      closures being entered in order to mark them as "used", so we were
      getting spurious amounts of data attributed to VOID.  It turns out
      there are various places that need to be fixed, and I think at least
      one of them was also wrong before pointer tagging (CgCon.cgReturnDataCon).
      f8f4cb3f
    • Simon Marlow's avatar
      Add getNumberOfProcessors(), FIX MacOS X build problem (hopefully) · 0ee0be10
      Simon Marlow authored
      Somebody needs to implement getNumberOfProcessors() for MacOS X,
      currently it will return 1.
      0ee0be10
  2. 16 Mar, 2009 3 commits
  3. 13 Mar, 2009 2 commits
  4. 17 Feb, 2009 1 commit
  5. 16 Mar, 2009 4 commits
  6. 15 Mar, 2009 1 commit
  7. 13 Mar, 2009 6 commits
  8. 12 Mar, 2009 1 commit
  9. 13 Mar, 2009 1 commit
    • Simon Marlow's avatar
      Instead of a separate context-switch flag, set HpLim to zero · 304e7fb7
      Simon Marlow authored
      This reduces the latency between a context-switch being triggered and
      the thread returning to the scheduler, which in turn should reduce the
      cost of the GC barrier when there are many cores.
      
      We still retain the old context_switch flag which is checked at the
      end of each block of allocation.  The idea is that setting HpLim may
      fail if the the target thread is modifying HpLim at the same time; the
      context_switch flag is a fallback.  It also allows us to "context
      switch soon" without forcing an immediate switch, which can be costly.
      304e7fb7
  10. 12 Mar, 2009 1 commit
    • Simon Marlow's avatar
      FIX #3079, dodgy parsing of LANGUAGE pragmas · c197fe60
      Simon Marlow authored
      I ended up rewriting this horrible bit of code, using (yikes) lazy I/O
      to slurp in the source file a chunk at a time.  The old code tried to
      read the file a chunk at a time, but failed with LANGUAGE pragmas
      because the parser for LANGUAGE has state and the state wasn't being
      saved between chunks.  We're still closing the Handle eagerly, so
      there shouldn't be any problems here.
      c197fe60
  11. 11 Mar, 2009 6 commits
  12. 10 Mar, 2009 1 commit
  13. 09 Mar, 2009 2 commits
  14. 06 Mar, 2009 1 commit
    • Simon Marlow's avatar
      Partial fix for #2917 · 1b62aece
      Simon Marlow authored
       - add newAlignedPinnedByteArray# for allocating pinned BAs with
         arbitrary alignment
      
       - the old newPinnedByteArray# now aligns to 16 bytes
      
      Foreign.alloca will use newAlignedPinnedByteArray#, and so might end
      up wasting less space than before (we used to align to 8 by default).
      Foreign.allocaBytes and Foreign.mallocForeignPtrBytes will get 16-byte
      aligned memory, which is enough to avoid problems with SSE
      instructions on x86, for example.
      
      There was a bug in the old newPinnedByteArray#: it aligned to 8 bytes,
      but would have failed if the header was not a multiple of 8
      (fortunately it always was, even with profiling).  Also we
      occasionally wasted some space unnecessarily due to alignment in
      allocatePinned().
      
      I haven't done anything about Foreign.malloc/mallocBytes, which will
      give you the same alignment guarantees as malloc() (8 bytes on
      Linux/x86 here).
      1b62aece
  15. 08 Mar, 2009 1 commit
  16. 06 Mar, 2009 1 commit
  17. 07 Mar, 2009 2 commits
  18. 06 Mar, 2009 3 commits