Difference between 'libicuio' and 'icuio' in the 'extra-libraries' field
I'm on Windows and I've recently updated my msys packages. One of them was libicu which I updated from version 58 to version 61. This caused one of my projects to stop building.
I've managed to reproduce the problem by just cloning the text-icu package and trying to open the repl in it. This is the error I get:
GHCi, version 8.2.2: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/ :? for help ghc.EXE: | C:\Users\darwi\Projects\text-icu\.stack-work\dist\5c8418a7\build\cbits\text_icu.o: unknown symbol `ucnv_getMaxCharSize_61' linking extra libraries/objects failed
A similar error used to happen with icu 58, but I've "fixed" it (see this pull request https://github.com/bos/text-icu/pull/36). This time, however, adding
extra-libraries doesn't cut it. But adding
libicuio does the trick!
I'm opening a ticket here because I assume both of those should behave the same.
It's worth noting that if this is a bug, it's not just a GHCi issue. My other project that depends on text-icu just doesn't build (the same error happens during compilation).
Unfortunately I can't test on 8.4 right now.