GHC plans for 9.0.1
This page is our road-map for what will be in GHC %9.0.1.
If you believe your favorite thing belongs in this list, but isn't there, please yell. If it's not in the road map, it probably won't get done. Without a lot of support, many things in the road map won't get done either, so we need your help!
- 16 June 2020: Beginning of feature freeze
- Late June 2020: Cut branch
- Mid september 2020: Alpha releases
- ~24 September 2020: Beta release
- Week of 5th October 2020: Final release candidate
Release highlights (planned)
Below are the major highlights of the 9.0 series.
- Linear Types (@aspiwack, !852 (closed), #15981)
QualifiedDo(@matt, Proposal #216)
- Signalling NaNs (@carter, #16519)
- NCG register allocation improvements (@AndreasK)
- Various documentation improvements (@Kleidukos)
- Simplified subsumption (@simonpj)
- Explicit specificity in type variable binders (@Gertjan423, #16393 (closed))
Improvements in code generation for
runRW#(#15127 (closed), @bgamari)
- Refactoring of GHC module hierarchy (#13009 (closed), @hsyl20)
- New Darwin packaging (#17418, #17854, @trac-conradwt)
- New Windows packaging? (#18104)
- WinIO IO manager for Windows (@Phyx, @AndreasK)
FastStringmemory consumption (!1675 (closed), @dxld)
Improved GC behavior due to
ModIfacein compact region (@mpickering)
Q (TExp a)a newtype (@mpickering, !3358 (closed), Proposal 195)
- AArch64 linker fixes (@angerman)
- unified ghc-bignum package (!2231 (closed), @hsyl20)
- Further improvements to the low-latency garbage collector (@bgamari)
- Implement interfaces needed by ghc-debug (!1435)
Build system and miscellaneous changes
- The Hadrian build system will hopefully become the default (%Make removal)
- The GHCi prompt does not display the loaded modules by default anymore (#18702)
- Data.Foldable methods
sumare now strict by default, as well as the methods used in the List instance (#17867, !4675 (closed))
See the %9.0.1 milestone.
See also GHC 9.0 tracking ticket.