[project @ 2002-03-04 17:01:26 by simonmar]
Binary Interface Files - stage 1 -------------------------------- This commit changes the default interface file format from text to binary, in order to improve compilation performace. To view an interface file, use 'ghc --show-iface Foo.hi'. utils/Binary.hs is the basic Binary I/O library, based on the nhc98 binary I/O library but much stripped-down and working in terms of bytes rather than bits, and with some special features for GHC: it remembers which Module is being emitted to avoid dumping too many qualified names, and it keeps track of a "dictionary" of FastStrings so that we don't dump the same FastString more than once into the binary file. I'll make a generic version of this for the libraries at some point. main/BinIface.hs contains most of the Binary instances. Some instances are in the same module as the data type (RdrName, Name, OccName in particular). Most instances were generated using a modified version of DrIFT, which I'll commit later. However, editing them by hand isn't hard (certainly easier than modifying ParseIface.y). The first thing in a binary interface is the interface version, so nice error messages will be generated if the binary format changes and you still have old interfaces lying around. The version also now includes the "way" as an extra sanity check. Other changes ------------- I don't like the way FastStrings contain both hashed strings (with O(1) comparison) and literal C strings (with O(n) comparison). So as a first step to separating these I made serveral "literal" type strings into hashed strings. SLIT() still generates a literal, and now FSLIT() generates a hashed string. With DEBUG on, you'll get a warning if you try to compare any SLIT()s with anything, and the compiler will fall over if you try to dump any literal C strings into an interface file (usually indicating a use of SLIT() which should be FSLIT()). mkSysLocal no longer re-encodes its FastString argument each time it is called. I also fixed the -pgm options so that the argument can now optionally be separted from the option. Bugfix: PrelNames declared Names for several comparison primops, eg. eqCharName, eqIntName etc. but these had different uniques from the real primop names. I've moved these to PrimOps and defined them using mkPrimOpIdName instead, and deleted some for which we don't have real primops (Manuel: please check that things still work for you after this change).
Showing with 1630 additions and 518 deletions