[project @ 2005-04-28 10:09:41 by simonpj]
This big commit does several things at once (aeroplane hacking) which change the format of interface files. So you'll need to recompile your libraries! 1. The "stupid theta" of a newtype declaration ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Retain the "stupid theta" in a newtype declaration. For some reason this was being discarded, and putting it back in meant changing TyCon and IfaceSyn slightly. 2. Overlap flags travel with the instance ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Arrange that the ability to support overlap and incoherence is a property of the *instance declaration* rather than the module that imports the instance decl. This allows a library writer to define overlapping instance decls without the library client having to know. The implementation is that in an Instance we store the overlap flag, and preseve that across interface files 3. Nuke the "instnce pool" and "rule pool" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A major tidy-up and simplification of the way that instances and rules are sucked in from interface files. Up till now an instance decl has been held in a "pool" until its "gates" (a set of Names) are in play, when the instance is typechecked and added to the InstEnv in the ExternalPackageState. This is complicated and error-prone; it's easy to suck in too few (and miss an instance) or too many (and thereby be forced to suck in its type constructors, etc). Now, as we load an instance from an interface files, we put it straight in the InstEnv... but the Instance we put in the InstEnv has some Names (the "rough-match" names) that can be used on lookup to say "this Instance can't match". The detailed dfun is only read lazily, and the rough-match thing meansn it is'nt poked on until it has a chance of being needed. This simply continues the successful idea for Ids, whereby they are loaded straightaway into the TypeEnv, but their TyThing is a lazy thunk, not poked on until the thing is looked up. Just the same idea applies to Rules. On the way, I made CoreRule and Instance into full-blown records with lots of info, with the same kind of key status as TyCon or DataCon or Class. And got rid of IdCoreRule altogether. It's all much more solid and uniform, but it meant touching a *lot* of modules. 4. Allow instance decls in hs-boot files ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Allowing instance decls in hs-boot files is jolly useful, becuase in a big mutually-recursive bunch of data types, you want to give the instances with the data type declarations. To achieve this * The hs-boot file makes a provisional name for the dict-fun, something like $fx9. * When checking the "mother module", we check that the instance declarations line up (by type) and generate bindings for the boot dfuns, such as $fx9 = $f2 where $f2 is the dfun generated by the mother module * In doing this I decided that it's cleaner to have DFunIds get their final External Name at birth. To do that they need a stable OccName, so I have an integer-valued dfun-name-supply in the TcM monad. That keeps it simple. This feature is hardly tested yet. 5. Tidy up tidying, and Iface file generation ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ main/TidyPgm now has two entry points: simpleTidyPgm is for hi-boot files, when typechecking only (not yet implemented), and potentially when compiling without -O. It ignores the bindings, and generates a nice small TypeEnv. optTidyPgm is the normal case: compiling with -O. It generates a TypeEnv rich in IdInfo MkIface.mkIface now only generates a ModIface. A separate procedure, MkIface.writeIfaceFile, writes the file out to disk.
Showing with 2133 additions and 1996 deletions