doc(Data.List): Add some examples to Data.List
This is my very first GHC MR, please be patient with me
base library for a long time to help newcomers have an easier understanding of what functions do, and today I'm finally doing it!
This MR is intentionally small, I didn't want to commit hours of documentation ahead in case I am doing something wrong.
- Is adding examples to each function (maybe even types) an accepted thing?
- Is adding examples of unsafe scenarii (e.g.
head ) an accepted thing? I personally think it's best to let newcomers know when things can blow off too (and additionally, this would help them Googling error messages and landing on the documentation)
Please feel free to give me pointers at what is ok/not ok regarding documentation. If such contributions are welcome, I wouldn't mind spending more time adding documentation/examples to more functions/types.
NB: I did not find a way to document
GHC.List even though it's documented in
GHC.Base and imported from there, am I missing something?
Thank you for your contribution to GHC!
Please take a few moments to verify that your commits fulfill the following:
- are either individually buildable or squashed
have commit messages which describe what they do
(referring to Notes and tickets using
#NNNNsyntax when appropriate)
- have added source comments describing your change. For larger changes you likely should add a Note and cross-reference it from the relevant places.
- add a testcase to the testsuite.
if your MR affects library interfaces (e.g. changes
base) please add the ~"user facing" label.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to open your merge request and inquire
in a comment. If your patch isn't quite done yet please do add prefix your MR